A well-engineered and British-designed 1.2 megapixel monochromatic astro camera at an unbelievably economical price, the Altair GPCAM MT9M034M allows you to capture stunning vistas of the night sky. The camera is extremely compact - but still sensitive - and equipped with a ST4 auto-guiding port. If you have ever wanted to experiment with imaging using colour RGB filters, or in UV or IR, the GPCAM MT9M034M Mono is an ideal purchase.
Altair GPCAM MT9M034M Mono Planetary Camera
The sensor: Specially selected 1/3" Aptina MT9M034 HD CMOS sensor with 3.75 micron pixels, high sensitivity and fast frame rate, as well as long-time exposure capability. The mono CMOS sensor has a Peak QE rating of 74% outperforming many more expensive CCD sensors, and is optimised for performance in a very low light environment, making it perfect for solar, planetary imaging, video astronomy, and deep-sky imaging.
The electronics: Altair Astro GPCAM PCB boards feature ESD protection (Electro-Static Discharge). All the electronic components on the PCB board are of high quality and are imported from the USA and Japan. These quality components give Altair cameras more stable performance and a longer lifespan than most other cameras, hence the two year warranty. Non-essential circuitry is shut down during long exposures resulting in even less noise and a stronger signal.
The casing: The case features an internal heat transfer structure designed to conduct heat away from the electronics, and directly from the sensor to be dissipated through the outer housing quickly and efficiently resulting in a cooler sensor and lower noise in long exposure mode
The optical window: The sensor is protected by a double-side Anti Reflection (AR) coated optical window, The colour camera optical window blocks UV & IR light enabling direct use with telescopes, Barlow and reducer lenses. The mono camera optical window is clear to allow the user full control over what type of light they wish to pass for example narrowband imaging, Ha solar imaging, RGB planetary imaging or even UV and IR planetary imaging (reveals extreme detail).
Connecting your GPCAM to your PC and mount: A built-in ST4 auto guider port is included on the rear face with 2m ST4 cable for easy connection between auto guider directly to your GOTO mount. The camera is powered through the included 2m USB 2.0 cable, which is aligned with the USB cable so you can combine them in a sheath or tie them together with cable ties to reduce cable-clutter.
The optional Meteor lens: You can use the optional 150 degree FOV F1.6 Meteor lens for wide angle imaging of the sky to capture meteorites and aurora displays - or just create a video of the night sky as the earth rotates. You can even make time-lapse daytime videos to capture cloud formations or capture any activity with standard high speed video mode. This little lens is sharp too, and perfectly capable of macro photography and video. Your imagination is the limit!
- Note: This camera does not come with software in the box. You will need to download GP-CAM drivers and software to make it work. DO NOT PLUG IN CAMERA UNTIL YOU HAVE INSTALLED THE DRIVERS.
- Fully supported by the latest version of Sharpcap for still and video capture, and full control of your camera.
- AltairCapture astrophotography software can also be downloaded to support image stacking, video preview, video recording, snapshot image capture, and raw data output. AltairCapture software also allows full control of the camera frame rate, exposure time in milliseconds, colour balance, gain, B&W / colour mode and ROI (Region Of Interest).
Included in the box:
- Camera body.
- 2m High-speed USB2.0 A male to B male cable.
- 1.5m ST4 guide cable.
- 1.25 inch x 20mm nosepiece with 1.25" filter thread.
- C-Mount 5mm extension adapter for C-Mount lenses requiring 17.5mm back-focus.
- Extra CS-Mount adapter with built-in clear AR coated optical window (for UV or IR imaging of planets with UV or IR pass filters).
- CS-Mount adapter with built-in UV-IR Blocking Filter AR coated (for imaging with lenses or refractors).
- Plastic dust cap 1.25".
- Note: This camera does not come with software in the box. You will need to download the latest GP-CAM drivers.
Sensor & performance specifications: (Where they differ, Colour and Mono camera specs are included for comparison).
- GPCAMAR0130C: Aptina AR0130 Colour CMOS sensor
- Sensor Size: 1/3" diagonal (4.8x3.6mm)
- Exposure duration shortest/longest: 0.4 ms (0.0004 secs) / 800 secs
- Bit depth: 8bit & 12bit mode switchable
- Pixel size microns: 3.75x3.75 um
- Resolution in pixels: 1280x960
- Recording System: Still Picture and Video
- Region Of Interest (ROI) support: Yes, user selectable via driver
- Approx. Max frame rates (assuming computer Bus operating at full bandwidth):
- 1280x960 30FPS, 1024x768 40FPS, 800x600 70FPS, 640x480 100FPS, 20x240 200FPS
Software & OS support:
- Drivers & software download (Windows only): cameras.altairastro.com
- Driver support: PHD2, AltairCapture, SharpCap, (Windows DirectShow)
- AltairCapture OS support: Win XP/ Vista/ 7/ 8/ 10 (32 & 64 bit)
- USB Port & Cable: 2.0 USB, 2m cable
- ST4 Port & Cable: Standard ST4 Opto-Isolated, 1.5m cable, iOptron, Celestron, Skywatcher SynScan GOTO.
Windows PC Hardware Requirements:
- Minimum CPU: Equal to Intel Core2 2.8GHz or Higher
- Minimum Memory: 2GB or More
- USB port: USB2.0 High-speed Port
- Monitor Display: 17" or Larger
- Software delivery: Downloaded online and saved to hard drive.
Back to top
- Protective rubber end-cap
- Padded cardboard storage box with durable foam inserts