The Altair Hypercam IMX178 Colour USB astronomy camera has the sought-after Sony IMX178 Colour CMOS sensor, with extremely low read noise, wide dynamic range, and a 6.3-megapixel resolution.
Key Features: Altair Hypercam 178C USB3.0 Colour Camera
- Large format 1/1.8" sensor (7.37 x 4.92 mm)
- SONY STARVIS and Exmor R Technology with a sensitivity of 2000 mV or more per 1µm²
- Low read noise, approx. 2.2e electrons (e-)
- Saturation (full well) capacity approx. 19,200 electrons (e-)
- High Dynamic Range with 14 bit ADC for high image quality in both light and dark (high contrast) areas
Solar system imaging: The Hypercam IMX178 is capable of solar, lunar, or planetary imaging (video capture) and is especially useful with refractors of less than 3 metres focal length, where small pixels (only 2.4 x 2.4um), high frame rates (up to 51 fps at full resolution), and low read noise are required to get the most detail in post processing. The ROI (Region of Interest) feature can be used for even higher frame rates when imaging the planets, sun or moon at high magnification.
Solar imaging is demanding work for any camera. The Hypercam is the best choice for solar imaging, because the internal fan and heatsink keep all the electronics cool. This reduces the chance of sensor or board glitches caused by excessive heat. Even the camera casing remains surprisingly cool thanks to the fan ventilation.
EAA & Video Astronomy: The Hypercam IMX178 sensor is particularly attractive for Electronically Assisted Astronomy / Video Astronomy because of its high 6.3-megapixel resolution and high sensitivity thanks to Sony STARVIS back-illumination and Exmor-R technology.
Deepsky astro-photography: The IMX178 sensor has very low amp glow, the lowest of any CMOS sensor in this price range Altair have developed so far. Amp glow is electronically suppressed on-board, and for EAA/Video astronomy you can effectively remove any remaining amp glow by using the ‘Live’ darkframe subtraction in AltairCapture or SharpCap. For deepsky imaging, you can remove any remaining amp glow in post processing by capturing and subtracking darkframes, as usual.
SPECIAL OFFER! FREE 1 YEAR SharCap PRO License with all Altair Hypercam 178C Cameras! Click here for more SC PRO feature info . Just download the latest SharpCap, connect your camera, register when the screen pops up and sign up for your free license. Sharpcap PRO has the amazingly accurate guidescope polar alignment routine, focus assistance, live flat field subtraction and many more great features to make deepsky, EAA or solar system imaging that much easier. Download SharpCap now to take advantage of this special offer.
Included in your purchase:
- Camera body with internal cooling fan, heat-sink, and front female M42x0.75mm T-Thread interface
- 1.8 m High-speed USB 3.0 cable
- 1.5 m ST4 guide cable
- 1.25” x nosepiece with female 1.25" filter thread on the front. (An optional 2" OD Nosepiece is available, code ALTAIRH-2IN)
- CS-Mount insert (12.5 mm back-focus) is pre-installed on camera. (Optional 5 mm extension adapter available for C-Mount lenses requiring 17.5 mm back-focus)
- Camera casing with M42 thread (12.5 mm backfocus)
- Built-in UV-IR Blocking Filter, AR coatings. (Removable for sensor cleaning)
- Plastic dust cap 1.25"
- Silicon dust cap for sensor
- Allen key for removing the C-Thread insert
Note: This camera does not come with software in the box. To operate the camera you will need to download the latest camera drivers at cameras.altairastro.com .
Sensor & performance specifications:
- ALTAIRH178C: SONY Exmor R BSI IMX178 Color CMOS sensor
- Sensor Size: 1/1.8" diagonal (8.92 mm)
- Exposure duration shortest/longest: 0.244 ms (0.000244 secs) / 5 secs (Video Mode)
0.244 ms (0.000244 secs) / 1000 secs (16.66mins) (Trigger Mode)
- Bit depth: 8bit & 14bit mode switchable
- Pixel size microns: 2.4 x 2.4 um
- Resolution in pixels: 3040 x 2048
- Recording System: Still Picture and Video
- Region of Interest (ROI) support: Available
- Approx. Max frame rates* (assuming computer Bus operating at full bandwidth):
- 8bit mode:
- 3040x2048 51FPS
- 640x480 191FPS ROI
- 320x240 264FPS ROI
- Sensor QE / Quantum Efficiency: ALTAIRH178C: N/A
- Gain Sensitivity: ALTAIRH178C: 425 mv
- Dynamic Range: ALTAIRH178C: N/A
- SNR Maximum: ALTAIRH178C: N/A
- Readout: Progressive Scan
- Shutter: Electronic Rolling Shutter
* Based on average user reports. May be revised as we get more data. The shorter the exposure duration, the faster the frame rate. An expensive PC does not guarantee a fast frame rate because PC bus and main board architecture vary.
Back to top
Buy Now Pay Later
With our no deposit Buy Now Pay Later option, pay nothing for six months when you spend £250 or more, then either settle the cash price in full by paying a £29.00 settlement fee, or choose to spread the cost over 36 months at 19.9% APR Representative. Please see the repayment example below to see how much purchasing this item on finance would cost.
|Item Value (Cash Price)
|Total Amount Credit
||35 x £15.46
|Total Amount Payable
|Annual Rate of Interest
Are you eligible for finance?
Applicants must be:
- Aged 18 years or older from the application date
- In permanent UK residence for a minimum of three years
- Fulfil at least one of the following employment criteria:
- In regular, permanent employment.
- Retired from regular employment - With a minimum age of 50.
- Not working through disability.
Note: All applicants will be subject to a credit reference check by the lender.
Credit is subject to application and status. Warehouse Express Ltd trading as Wex Photographic act as credit broker and not the lender. Barclays Partner Finance act as the lender.
Can I repay early? If so how?
No repayments are scheduled in the initial six-month deferral period. However, it is possible to pay off the loan, either by way of a lump sum or in smaller amounts. If the loan is fully repaid within the six-month deferral period, then no interest is payable, but a £29.00 early-settlement will be incurred. Such repayments may be made to Barclays Partner Finance by cheque, debit card or standing order. Unfortunately it is not possible to set up a direct debit within the deferral period. Further information on how to make such repayments will be set out in the loan agreement pack provided by Barclays Partner Finance.
What happens if I don't repay within the first six months (deferral period)?
Following the six month deferral period, Barclays Partner Finance will initiate a monthly direct debit payment for the remaining duration of the loan. Interest will be charged at a rate of 19.9% APR on outstanding balances (backdated to the first date of the loan). Late payment penalties and early repayment charges will apply from this point. Barclays Partner Finance will send a reminder letter approximately one month before the six month deferral period is due to elapse. Note: If you chose to spread the cost and pay monthly, interest is charged from the start of the loan, not from the start of the repayment period.
What will I receive from the finance provider (lender)?
Barclays Partner Finance will send a loan agreement pack approximately four weeks after delivery of the goods, confirming that the account has been activated and, from this point, it is possible to make repayments against the loan.
For further information on how our finance product work, see our Finance help section.
Back to top
† Once your application has been accepted, usually within minutes, we will immediately dispatch your equipment.