The Azden SGM-2X Dual-Barrel Pro Shotgun Microphone is aimed at both the pro-sound and broadcast markets. The microphone comes with two barrels making it either an omni-directional or, by adding the extension barrel, a super-cardioid. Either configuration provides a sensitive, low-noise, wide bandwidth signal through its balanced XLR output. The SGM-2X comes complete with a unique, integrated shock-mount to allow use with a camera hot-shoe or mic stand. The microphone includes two foam windscreens and is powered by a single AAA battery (not included and no Phantom Power), which lasts approx. 1000hours.
What is a shotgun microphone?
A shotgun microphone is long and cylindrical and will only pick up the sounds that are directly in front of it, while rejecting sounds to the sides and rear. Shotgun microphones are commonly used for interviews as they excel when they are closest to the subject and are good at picking up the mid frequencies of the vocal range.
What is a shock mount?
Shotgun microphones are very sensitive to vibrations and therefore a shock mount is essential to ensure you get the best out of your recordings. Shock mounts suspends the microphone with rubber bands and is designed to eliminate any vibrations the microphone may pick up. Shotgun microphones pick up sound a lot better than built-in microphones on a video camera or DSLR.
Most consumer shotgun microphones will connect to your DLSR/camcorder with a 3.5mm mini-plug jack. Advanced shotgun microphones connect with a three-pin XLR jack – please check what connection your camcorder takes to determine which shotgun mic you need.
What is a windscreen?
You will find that most microphones come with a basic foam windscreen. A windscreen is designed to protect your audio from light wind but it isn't enough protection for using a shotgun outdoors in strong wind. There is additional wind protection you can buy separately that slips over your microphone to reduce wind noise when shooting outdoors.
Back to top
- Type: Omni-Directional & Super Cardioid Electret Condenser with Balanced 3-pin XLR Connector
- Frequency Response: 40-20,000Hz
- Sensitivity: -39dB (Omni-Directional), -33dB (Super Cardioid), Max. SPL:110dB
- Output Impedance: 1.5k Ohm (at 1 kHz)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 70dB
- Power Source: 1x AAA 1.5V Alkaline battery
- Power Usage: 0.2mA (l000hours with alkaline battery)
- Weight: 110g (with short barrel), 185g (with long & short barrels)
- Dimensions: 212.5mm (short barrel) or 400mm (long & short barrel) x 21mm Diameter
Back to top
||400 x 21 mm