The Blackmagic URSA with PL lens mount is a high-end film camera designed to revolutionise workflow on set. Built to handle the ergonomics of large film crews as well as single person use, URSA has everything built in, including a large 10" fold out monitor, a Super 35 global shutter 4K image sensor with 12 stops of dynamic range, 12G-SDI and internal dual RAW and ProRes recorders. Because the sensor and lens mount assembly can be changed, you can choose EF or PL lens mounts, or even a broadcast video sensor with B4 mount.
Blackmagic URSA Camera (PL Fit): Key Features
- PL lens mount (lens not included)
- Super 35 global shutter 4K image sensor
- Records CinemaDNG RAW and Pro Res
- 12 stop Dynamic Range
- 12G-SDI output for 10-Bit 4:2:2 3K
- 10" foldout screen
- Dual CFast 2.0 Card Slots
- PL lens mount (no lens included)
- Blackmagic camera comparison guide.
User Upgradeable Sensor and Mount
The Blackmagic URSA features a modular camera turret that can be simply removed by removing 4 simple bolts! The camera turret includes the sensor, lens mount and lens control connections and can be upgraded in the future when new types of sensors are developed. This means your next camera will be a fraction of the cost of buying a whole new camera! There are currently 4 models to choose from. They are:
- URSA EF includes the amazing 4K Super 35 image sensor with global shutter and an EF lens mount with active lens control. Now you can use low cost DSLR photo lenses from companies such as Canon, Zeiss and more!
- URSA PL includes the amazing 4K Super 35 image sensor with global shutter and the film industry PL lens mount. That’s ideal when you need to use feature film industry PL mount lenses for the most cinematic optics available!
- URSA Broadcast, due later in 2014, features a whole different sensor optimized for Broadcast Video in Ultra HD, combined with a broadcast B4 lens mount and broadcast lens control connection plus built in ND filter wheel.
- URSA HDMI includes no sensor because it features an HDMI 4K input and mount plate for connecting any camera such as DSLR cameras! Get much better ProRes recording, monitoring, audio and timecode than what is ever included on simple video or DSLR cameras!
Introducing Blackmagic URSA, the world’s first high end digital film camera designed to revolutionize workflow on set. Built to handle the ergonomics of large film crews as well as single person use, URSA has everything built in, including a massive 10 inch fold out on set monitor, large user upgradeable Super 35 global shutter 4K image sensor, 12G-SDI and internal dual RAW and ProRes recorders. Because the sensor and lens mount assembly can be changed, you can choose EF or PL lens mounts, or even a broadcast video sensor with B4 mount. This means you can upgrade to the latest sensor technology in the future and keep your investment in the camera body!
Professional Digital Film Camera
Blackmagic URSA is designed to be used on high end feature films, commercials, episodic television production, documentaries, electronic news gathering, music videos and more. When used on jobs with a large crew you can easily dress the camera with high quality cinema lenses, rails, follow focus, matte boxes and more. With built in scopes for exposure, focus and audio levels, it’s easy for DOP’s to get perfect results every time. The dedicated screen for camera assistants lets them check and update camera parameters independently of the DOP. If you’re shooting solo then the large fold out on set monitor, built in scopes and internal recorder means you don’t need any extra on set equipment because it’s all built into the camera. That’s a whole film set of equipment built into the one extremely portable design!
Rethinking Camera Design
The Blackmagic URSA features a larger professional size that has the space for powerful cooling that allows higher frame rates while keeping the chassis cool and the fan super quiet. The machined aluminum design is incredibly strong and has been designed for large film crew use and to be field upgradable to new sensors by the user. Each area of the camera has been divided into separate DOP, camera assistant and audio engineer work stations. The DOP station features a large 10 inch fold out on set monitor and separate 5 inch screen for settings, camera status and scopes. The camera assist station features a separate screen for camera settings, status and scopes and an audio station features audio meters, controls and audio connections. The big screen means you don’t need extra on set equipment so it’s easy to move around quickly between shots. Simply fold in the monitor and go!
Shoot in incredible quality Ultra HD
URSA is a true professional digital film camera with a 4K sensor, global shutter and an incredible 12 stops of dynamic range. The wide dynamic range blows away regular video cameras or even high end broadcast cameras, so you get dramatically better images that look like true digital film. The wide dynamic range preserves detail in dark shadows as well as bright highlights so you have a wider range of brightness levels to work with when color grading in post production. The extra large Super 35 size allows for creative shallow depth of field shooting and the high resolution Ultra HD 12 bit lossless Cinema DNG RAW means you get incredible quality! You can also shoot Ultra HD or HD in Apple ProRes for easy post production workflow with minimum storage requirements!
Dual Recorders for Non Stop Recording
Blackmagic URSA features dual recorders so you never need to stop recording to change media. That’s critical if you are shooting an historical event, important interview or where you just cannot stop shooting! Simply load an empty CFast card into the second recorder and when the current card is full, the recording will continue onto the second card, allowing you to change out the full card and keep shooting! The built in recorders use new CFast card technology that allow recording up to 350 MB/s for incredible speeds, perfect for high frame rate RAW recording! Imagine shooting RAW and then playing back for the crew on the massive 10 inch screen!
User Upgradeable Sensor and Mount
The Blackmagic URSA features a modular camera turret that can be simply removed by removing 4 simple bolts! The camera turret includes the sensor, lens mount and lens control connections and can be upgraded in the future when new types of sensors are developed. This means your next camera will be a fraction of the cost of buying a whole new camera! There are currently 4 models to choose from!
Built in On Set Monitoring!
Say goodbye to bulky on set monitors because you get a massive fold out 10 inch screen built into Blackmagic URSA, making it the world’s biggest viewfinder! The screen is super bright so it’s easy to see when shooting outdoors, even in direct sunlight, plus it features an ultra wide viewing angle so you can pan and tilt to extremes and still see crystal clear images. When shooting in Ultra HD, focus becomes extremely difficult on small viewfinders, however with a massive 10 inch screen in full HD, you can see your images in amazing detail for perfect focus, framing and exposure! Because the screen tilts you can shoot down low, or high up over crowds and easily tilt the screen up or down to see your shot!
Two Extra 5" Touch Screens
URSA features the world’s most intuitive and advanced touch screen camera user interface! There are two 5" touch screens on both sides of the camera that put your settings, controls and monitoring tools at your fingertips! The left side gives you quick access to all major settings via a touch screen and a row of control buttons. That means you don’t have to hunt through complicated menus to make changes! The right side displays settings like format, frame rate, shutter angle and more! There is a large prominent timecode display, an animated histogram for checking levels, a scrolling audio waveform monitor with clipping indicators and a spectrum scope for helping you check and adjust focus!
The Blackmagic URSA features standard broadcast connections so you don’t need to worry about buying expensive custom cables! You get 12G-SDI output that can be down converted to HD or used directly at amazing Ultra HD quality. There’s also a 12G-SDI input that can display return video on the 10 inch monitor when working on live events or an external video source! A separate SDI output is available for attaching external viewfinders and eye pieces. For audio, there are 2 professional XLR connections with 48v phantom power so you can use the audio industry’s best quality microphones. You also get timecode in/out and a LANC connector for controlling the camera, lenses, and accessories remotely.
Broadcast Standard Power
URSA uses a standard 4-pin 12V to 30V XLR broadcast power connector for plugging into external power supplies. There are also mounting points and a power transfer connector for mounting third party V-Mount and Anton/Bauer gold mount back plates and batteries onto the rear of the camera itself. This means you can integrate the battery as part of the camera itself. You also get a standard 4 pin XLR 12V output power connector so you can use a wide range of third party viewfinders without needing expensive custom cables. That means it’s easy to integrate the camera with all of your existing gear and accessories!
Designed to be Rigged
To make it super easy to bolt on your favorite accessories, Blackmagic URSA has multiple mount points all over the camera. You get standard tripod quick release attach points on the bottom of the camera, so you can use industry standard tripod mounts. The viewfinder connection uses standard power and BNC SDI connections for any type of viewfinder, plus there is standard 3/8” threaded points on the top and handle of the camera for mounting anything you like! Standard battery mounts can be bolted to the rear of the camera and you can use standard rails in the rail mounts built into the camera base. No camera is so easy to rig up for any type of production!
DaVinci Resolve Software Included
Blackmagic URSA includes full DaVinci Resolve 11 software for Mac and Windows, so you get more color correction features that let you take advantage of URSA’s amazing image quality. You can use the Resolve Live feature to grade live pictures direct from the camera. Imagine lighting your set and color grading all at the same time! You get the full creative power of primaries, secondaries, power windows and more! You also get DaVinci Resolve’s advanced editing features including a full multi layer timeline with ripple, roll, slide and slip clip trimming and title tools! Blackmagic URSA and DaVinci Resolve mean you get a complete production and post production solution!
- Sensor Size: 22mm x 11.88mm (Super 35)
- Shooting Resolutions: 3840 x 2160, 1920 x 1080, 4000 x 2160 RAW
- Frame Rates: 30 fps in RAW, 80 fps in RAW 3:1, 80 fps in ProRes HD or ProRes UHD, Project frame rates of 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94 and 60 fps supported
- Dynamic Range: 12 stops
- Focus: Focus button turns on peaking, auto focus available using compatible lenses
- Iris Control: Iris button automatically adjusts the lens iris settings on compatible lenses so no pixel is clipped in film mode. Scene average auto exposure in video mode
- Lens Mount: EF Mount
- Screen Dimensions: 1 x 10.1" - 1920 x 1200 / 2 x 5" - 800 x 480
- Screen Type: 10.1" - TFT-LCD / 5" - Integrated LCD capacitive touchscreen
- Metadata Support: Automatic camera data and user data such as shot number, filenames and keywords
- Controls: Touchscreen menus on 5" screen. Push button controls for settings and navigating menus
- Microphone: Integrated stereo microphone
- Speaker: Integrated mono speaker
- Mounting Options: Multiple 3/8"-16 UNC thread mounting on top of camera and on handle. Integrated rod mounts compatible with 15mm Light Weight Support standard
- SDI Video Output: 1 x 12G-SDI 10-bit 4:2:2. 1 x 3G-SDI down converted for external monitoring
- SDI Video Input: 1 x 12G-SDI
- Ref Input: 1 x BNC Reference Input
- Timecode Input: 1 x BNC Timecode Input
- Timecode Output: 1 x BNC Timecode Output
- Analog Audio Input: 2 x XLR analog switchable between mic and line levels. Phantom power support
- Analog Audio Output: 1/4" jack output for headphone monitoring
- SDI Audio Output: 2 channel
- Remote Control: 1 x 2.5mm LANC for Rec Start/Stop, plus Iris and Focus control using compatible lenses
- Computer Interface: USB 2.0 Mini-B port for software updates
- External Power Input: 1 x 4-pin XLR port for external power or battery use
- External Power Output: 1 x 12V output using 4-pin XLR for powering external accessories such as EVF
Back to top
- Blackmagic URSA PL
- Active PL Mount turret
- Turret Dust Cap
- 12V AC Adapter
- Tripod mounting plate adapter
- DaVinci Resolve Studio and dongle