The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS Mark II USM lens builds upon the success of the popular mark I, with a redesigned optical system for superb sharpness, a 3-mode Image Stabiliser that allows shutter speeds up to 4 stops slower than normal and an improved minimum focusing distance of 3.2 feet (compared to 6.5 ft). The lens' versatile focal range combined with its compact and lightweight build gives users the freedom to shoot handheld, which is particularly useful in confined spaces and when speed is of essence. This solid, super-telephoto lens with rotating zoom design is ideal for a wide range of applications, including sport, portraiture, wildlife, pet and travel photography.
Key Features: Canon EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM Lens
- Versatile super-telephoto zoom ideal for sport and wildlife
- Traditional rotating zoom design (compared to push-pull on previous model)
- New Optical Image Stabiliser provides up to 4-stop benefit, including 3 IS operation modes
- New Zoom Touch Adjustment ring - customise the feel of the zoom control for different situations
- New multi-layered Air Sphere Coating (ASC) helps to significantly reduce backlit flaring and ghosting
- High quality optics - superb image quality right across the frame
- Improved minimum focusing distance of 3.2 ft (compared to 6.5 ft)
- Weather sealed against dust and moisture, for use under harsh conditions
- Focus quickly, accurately and in near silence. Full-time manual focus override allows precise fine adjustment
- Ring USM drive, high-speed CPU and optimised AF algorithms to provide quiet and fast autofocus
- A Fluorine coating on lens surfaces reduces dirt clinging to the lens elements and prevents smearing
- New bayonet-style ET-83D hood with side window permits filters to be adjusted easily
- 0.31x magnification distance
Canon 100-400mm Sample Images
Who is it for?
The EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM is a compact yet powerful telephoto zoom ideal for covering wildlife, sport and action in even the most challenging environments. Featuring advanced optical engineering, a new 4-stop Image Stabilizer and excellent weather-sealing, it offers stunning image quality in a body that has been designed with ease-of-use in mind. When used on cameras featuring APS-C sized sensors, the EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM offers angles of view equivalent to a 160-640mm on a full-frame camera.
Stay sharp, whatever the light
The EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS II USM delivers sharp, high-contrast images, using Fluorite and Super Ultra-low Dispersion (Super UD) lens elements to tackle artefacts and distortion. A 3-mode Image Stabiliser guards against blur from camera shake, allowing handheld shooting with shutter speeds up to 4 stops slower than normal.
Fear no flare
Shoot into the light confident that Canon’s multi-layered Air Sphere Coating (ASC) will protect against flare, ghosting and reduced contrast. ASC uses a multi-layer coating to reduce reflections including a layer of nanosised air spheres deposited on the lens surface to slow down light more gradually as it enters the lens, this prevents the internal reflections that reduce image quality.
Different photographers work in different ways. Use the Zoom Touch Adjustment ring to set the amount of resistance felt when zooming the lens: a light touch is ideal when you’ll be working quickly in a fast-changing situation. On the other hand, you might want to stiffen or lock the zoom mechanism when you don’t want the focal length to change accidentally.
Fast focus when you want it
Enjoy fast USM autofocus that locks on accurately and in near-silence. Full-time manual focus override allows precise adjustment without taking your camera away from your eye. The EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS II USM focuses down to 0.98m, letting you react to subjects that come unexpectedly close.
Protected from the great outdoors
Keep shooting even in tough weather conditions. As an L-series lens, the EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS II USM is sealed against dust and moisture, so you can keep shooting even when conditions turn bad. A fluorine coating on the lens’ front element repels dirt making the lens easy to clean.
Compact size and weight
The EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM is the perfect optic for photographers on the move. With compact dimensions it takes up minimal room in a kit bag and can be relied upon to perform the moment it’s fitted to a camera. Its relatively light weight and superb quality builds on EF lens heritage and continues Canon’s excellent reputation for usability and performance.
The EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM has been designed to exceed expectations with a focal length range of particular appeal to landscape as well as sports, action and wildlife photographers.
Instinctive user controls
The new ET-83D lens hood for the EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM features an access window, useful for adjusting filters.
Different photographers work in different ways. The Zoom Touch Adjustment ring can be used to set the amount of resistance felt when zooming the lens: a light touch is ideal when you’ll be working quickly in a fast-changing situation. On the other hand, you might want to stiffen or lock the zoom mechanism when you don’t want the focal length to change accidentally.
A tripod collar is now integrated with the barrel to provide smoother, seamless rotation while the tripod foot itself can even be removed completely.
A new, dedicated lens hood, ET-83D, allows the use of rotating polarising filters without the need to remove the hood, thanks to the inclusion of an access window.
Stunningly fast autofocus
Enjoy fast USM autofocus that locks on accurately and in near-silence. Full-time manual focus override allows precise adjustment without taking your camera away from your eye. The EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM focuses as close as 0.98m, letting you react to subjects that come unexpectedly close.
NEW Optical Image Stabilisation
The EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM’s Image Stabiliser (IS) system has been completely redesigned and now offers up to 4-stops of compensation. It also features the three levels of stabilisation, found on Canon Mark II telephoto-zoom lenses:
Back to top
- Mode 1: The same as previous IS systems. IS detects movement in two planes
- Mode 2: New algorithms reduce problems when panning. IS detects movement in one plane, ideal for panning
- Mode 3: IS is only activated during exposure. Allows panning without the IS over-compensating for movement which may affecting image quality