The PocketWizard Plus IV Auto-Sensing Transceiver allows photographers the benefit of both on-camera TTL flash and remote manual flash control. Used as a transmitter the top shoe provides on camera TTL compatibility with most Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Fuji and Olympus cameras. In receiver mode it will pair with virtually any flashgun for manual remote control. Featuring 32 channels in 4 separate zones and powered by two readily available AA batteries it is an ideal wireless triggering system for all occasions. With the addition of optional release cords it can also operate as a remote camera shutter release. Backwards compatible with other PocketWizard radios with Quad Zone channels.
- Current Firmware: 1.500
- Frequency: FCC/IC model: 344.04 - 354.00 MHz North America / CE model: 433.62 - 434.22 MHz EU/Asia/Other
- Channels: 32 channels 1-16 Standard Channels 17 - 32 selective Quad-Zone Triggering channels. Reverse compatible with all PocketWizard radios using
- Standard or Quad-Zone Triggering channels
- Zones: A - B - C - D Compatible with other PocketWizard radios with Quad-Zone Triggering channels
- Antenna: Precision tuned internal coil
- Display: Backlit 2.5cm (1.0") liquid crystal display (LCD)
- Range: Comparable to other PocketWizard radios (Actual range is dependent on multiple factors including equipment, mode, environment, positioning, orientation and interference)
- Sync Speed: Up to 1/250 for focal plane shutters. Up to 1/500 for leaf shutters
- Triggering Speed: Up to 14.5 frames per second (FPS)
- Contact Time: 62 milliseconds in normal operation 2 milliseconds in High Speed Receive (HSR) Mode
- Status Indicator: LED: Green, Amber, Red status indications
- Transmit Output Power: Less than 1 milliwatt (0.001 watt)
- Power: Two (2) AA (IEC:LR6) alkaline recommended NiMH, NiCAD, NiZn, Lithium acceptable (these chemistries may not report battery life accurately) USB (optional AC adapter PW-AC-USB available)
- Battery Life: Approximately 50 hours (with alkaline batteries)
- Max Port Sync Voltage:
- Camera / Flash Port: 300 Volts
- Hot Shoe (off camera): 300 Volts
- Hot Shoe (on camera): When using a 3rd party flash on camera, verify camera and flash specifications for voltage compatibility. On camera speedlights are directly connected to the camera’s hot shoe electrically.
- Mac Current Handling: Camera / Flash Port: 1.0 A peak, 0.2 A (1/5 Amp or 200 milliamp) continuous current limited
- Voltage Present: 3 volts, safe for use with all digital and film cameras
- USB: USB 2.0 Mini-B Connector
- Housing: High impact plastic with captive battery door
- Weight:130 grams (4.7 ounces) with batteries installed
- Dimensions: Height: 4.5cm 1.8") Width: 5.9cm (2.3") Depth: 10.4cm (4.1")
- Operating Temperature: Above -15 degrees C (5 degrees F) and below 50 decrees C (120 degrees F)
- Storage Temperature: Above -30 degrees C (-22 degrees F) and below 85 degrees C (185 degrees F) (without batteries)
- Input/Output: 3.5mm (1/8") stereo miniphone jack, hot shoe
- Mounting: Metal foot, 1/4-20 threaded insert
- In the Box: Quick Guide Operation reference sticker
- RoHS Compliant: Yes
- Optional Accessories: Isolation bar, trigger buttons, camera motor drive cables, PC cables and adapters, flash sync cables and protective case
On-Camera TTL Flash / Remote Manual Flash
The Plus IV features a top shoe providing TTL compatiblity with most Canon, Nikon and Panasonic cameras and flashes as well as some Fuji and Olympus gear. This allows photographers the versatilty to shoot with an on-camera flash in TTL mode while triggering their remotes in manual mode. Easily slide a speedlight into the top shoe of your receiviing radio and you are ready to start triggering your remote flash in minutes. A perfect setup for wedding photographers.
The top shoe on the Plus IV allows photographers to easiy set-up their speedlights. No sync cord required.
Simple User Interface
The Plus IV has an intuitive user interface where all channels, zones and modes can be easily engaged via a soft-touch keypad, and displayed on an easy-to-read backlit 2.5cm (1”) LCD display. When you’re working in dark environments, simply press any key other than TEST to illuminate the LCD.
With 32 channels (16 standard plus 16 Quad-Zone Triggering channels), the PocketWizard Plus IV Transceiver enables you to trigger individual or groups of lights simultaneously or individually. This is critical for working in crowded venues or with multiple lighting set-ups.
Selective Quad-Zone Triggering keeps you shooting photos, not running back and forth to your lighting or cameras. Without leaving the camera position, you can wirelessly activate or deactivate your remote flashes or cameras in 4 separately controllable zones: A, B, C, or D. This is ideal when using multiple lighting setups or turning remote cameras or flashes on and off as needed.
With our patented Auto-Sensing Transceiver technology, the Plus IV Transceiver is one smart radio. When set to TxRx, it will instantly and intelligently switch between transmitter and receiver modes as needed for greater flexibility on the job. The Plus IV may be set to transmit (Tx) or receive (Rx) independently if needed.
Two-Stage Remote Camera Triggering
The Plus IV Transceiver is the perfect solution for remote camera triggering. The unique two-stage TEST button on the Plus IV works just like the shutter release button on your camera. Press it halfway and your remote camera wakes up to meter and focus. Press TEST all the way to take your photo. When released, your remote camera will return to sleep mode normally; a real battery saver.
Our Auto-Sensing Transceiver technology lets you trigger a remote camera in sync with remote flashes using only 3 PocketWizard radios: the one in your hands, a Plus IV cabled to your remote camera, and the one connected to your remote flash set to one channel higher.
Long Range Capability
Range is comparable to other PocketWizard radios. Shooting environments are seldom ideal, so the Plus IV incorporates two range extending modes for the challenges of the real world. Use Long Range Mode (LR) to nearly double the effective triggering distance in almost any environment.
Repeater Mode (RP)
In very challenging environments or extremely long working ranges, place a Plus IV in Repeater Mode (RP) between your transmitter and receiver to repeat the signal and complete the connection. These modes take a little extra time to do their jobs, so maximum X-sync may be reduced when firing remote flashes in LR or RP modes.
High Speed Receive
Normally, the Plus IV is capable of triggering lights or cameras at a sustained rate of up to 12 frames per second (FPS), with a standard for PocketWizard radios. Set the Plus IV to High Speed Receive Mode (HSR) and trigger at rates up to 14.5 FPS, beyond the capability of most of today’s cameras. This mode can also help high FPS triggering compatibility for any flash. TTL operation reduces the fastest FPS a system can use.
External Power and Firmware Upgradeable
The Plus IV is normally powered by two AA (IEC:LR6) batteries. For long term remote placement, use an AC adapter, like the PW-AC-USB Adapter, that plugs into the standard Mini-B USB port of the Plus IV. The USB port also enables future upgrades of the Plus IV operating system.
Back to top
The Plus IV is compatible with all Standard channel or simple triggering
PocketWizard radios of the same frequency* including PocketWizard-enabled photo gear from Profoto, Dynalite, Norman, Photogenic and Sekonic light meters. The PocketWizard wireless system allows for total flexibility with whatever lights or cameras you may be working with. (*FCC and CE PocketWizard radios work on different frequencies)